In our previous blog post we talked about how important stretching can be, especially for physically active individuals. Also, going along with our theme for the month, we know that it can be even more crucial as we age. Now that we know how valuable stretching can be, today we’ll take a look at how to incorporate mobility work to your routine. To reap the benefits of stretching and mobility exercises, consider the following tips:
1. Warm up properly: Prior to your workout, engage in dynamic stretching exercises to warm up your muscles and increase blood flow. This will help with performance and reduce risk of injury.
2. Stretch during rest periods: Utilize your rest periods between sets to incorporate static stretching for the muscles you are targeting. This can help to keep muscles warm throughout your workout.
3. Focus on major muscle groups: Pay attention to stretching key muscle groups involved in your workouts, such as the legs, back, chest, and shoulders. If you’re not sure what muscles are being targeted, make sure to ask your coach and they can further assist you.
4. Utilize foam rollers and mobility tools: Incorporate foam rolling and mobility tools to target specific areas that may be tight or restricted.
5. Cool down and stretch post-workout: After your workout, dedicate time to static stretching exercises to improve flexibility and aid in recovery. Normally there is an optional cool down after our workouts, and this is the perfect time to dedicate 5 – 10 minutes to stretching and can go a long way.
Remember to listen to your body and stretch within your comfort zone. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions or concerns, it is always advisable to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new exercise program. Also, if you need a bit of extra guidance, feel free to ask your coach for help!
Continue to check back here for more tips and information! And follow @thevfit on Instagram to stay up to date with everything regarding #TheVFit!